Hello, I’m Matthew. I live in Birmingham, UK, with my lovely wife and two brilliant children.
- Playing with my son and daughter - Lego, dolls, cars and “talking like” feature heavily.
- Spending time as a family at the weekends - we are National Trust members and love playing hide and seek behind trees in the gardens.
- Trying to persuade my wife that the latest sci-fi Netflix/Prime series is worth a go.
- Cooking - almost exclusively vegetarian food (I’m a meat eater but my wife and children are herbivores)
- Classical, Jazz, Folk and Indie on Apple Music.
- Reading - contemporary literary fiction, sci-fi, popular science (paper books, Scribd and Kindle).
- Listening to podcasts - Accidental Tech Podcast, AppStories, The Prospect Podcast, Reply All, The Skeptics’ Guide To The Universe.
What I do when at work:
- I spend most of my time as a freelancer on iOS and Android apps for a variety of clients.
- My own apps (beorg and Go Calc) then take up the rest of the week. I’d love to transition to spend more time on indie development. The App Store and freemium business models are an uphill struggle to sustainability, but trying hard to make this a reality.
- My top priority is time with my family so you won’t find me in the office much after five. Any work outside the office is mostly limited to high level planning and research. I rent an office so that I’m not distracted during the day by being at home.
- Apps On The Move is my brand for freelancing and my own apps.
- In my office I have a 24-inch i7 3.6Ghz quad core iMac with 16GB of RAM and a bunch of iOS and Android test devices.
- At home I’ve a mid-2012 non-retina MacBook Pro upgraded to 16GB RAM and an SSD (the last MacBook Pro you could do that with!)
- I use an iPhone 8, iPad mini 5 and an Apple Watch series 3.
- I’ve got 3 Echo Dots downstairs mainly for streaming music (all attached to either Hi-fi equipment or external speakers).